You know, I didn't realize it until after meeting with the neurosurgeon this morning, but it felt as though we have been holding our breath for the past six days. It feels good to exhale. :)
We met with Dr. Riley and Dr. Olson at Emory hospital in Atlanta around 11AM. They reviewed Tim's CT and MRI results, and took time to answer our questions as well as provide an understandable explanation of Tim's meningioma. They stated that Tim's tumor is large, but falls within the "normal" range when compared to the sizes of other meningioma tumors he has seen. It was also reaffirmed that the tumor has a high probability of being non-cancerous. There are three treatment options: radiation (Tim's tumor is a bit too large for this to be recommended), observation, and surgery. Since Tim is not suffering from any symptoms at this time, and surgery brings about plenty of risks on its own, we are pursuing the observation route.
You may be thinking, "What?! You are just going to let the tumor continue to grow?" Meningioma tumors are very slow growing (Dr. Olson said they grow 1-2mm a year, at the most... sometimes they go for periods of time with almost no growth). Right now the plan is for Tim to have another MRI in August, at which point we will meet with the neurosurgeon again so he can compare the May and August images. He will be looking for any growth indicators, and depending on what he sees we will most likely continue with observation (which will mean an MRI in May 2012). At some point it is possible Tim could begin exhibiting symptoms (ranging from loss of strength on the right side of his body to seizures), and if this happens we will pursue Plan B with the neurosurgeon. God is in control.
Whew. Exhaling. Thank you, Lord! :)
The immediate future will be filled with the removal of his remaining stitches and taking care of his missing tooth. While his front left tooth broke off in the accident, the root was pushed further up into his mouth, and it will need to be extracted. It is looking like he will be having an implant, which is a multi-month process between an oral surgeon and our family dentist.
Thankfully this blog has been short lived, but I will try to update it again in August (I believe the neurosurgeon appointment is on the 9th) in case you want to check in. Words cannot begin to express our gratitude for your prayers, encouragement, and support. While thank you seems insufficient, it is what I will close with... thank you, and all glory to God.
Erin :)
Sharing your joy and your relief!! I bet the Goode's are gonna sleep really good tonight!!! Thanks for sharing the details...continuing to pray with you, prayers of gratitude!! Love to you all! Dad & Mom VM
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to hear this news! What a relief indeed! I will continue to pray for good news for future scans and continued lack of symptoms.
ReplyDeletePraising Him - Angela
I just kind of chuckled when I read the topic of your post--"Exhaling". That is exactly what I did yesterday when I got the news that Tim would not be having surgery now. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders, so I can only BEGIN to imagine how you two must feel. :^) I am so grateful for God's precious peace, grace, and care during this last week. That your child has a brain tumor is one of the last things a parent wants to hear. But God has made it very evident that HE is in control. I will continue to pray for you both in the days and months ahead.
ReplyDeleteMuch, much love. Mom/Mimi
so happy to hear this news! continueing to pray for you all! and for Tim's recovery
ReplyDelete